Image Map

Tortellini Tomato Spinach Soup

24.1.13

My husband has given me the task of preparing dinner once a week.  It is in effort to help me learn how to cook.  I figured I would start out with easy things first.  The first time I made my jalapeno spicy burgers.  This time around, I went super easy and went for a yummy and fast soup.

So here ya go.



Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion (about 1/2 small onion)
1 clove garlic, minced
4 to 6 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed through your fingers or coarsely chopped * you guys, I just bought them crushed in a can, tomatoes with basil.  still turned out just fine *
1 (9 ounce) package fresh tortellini (Bertoli is just fine)
Salt and pepper for taste
10 ounces fresh or frozen spinach, defrosted and chopped.
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Directions:
In a 3-quart pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Saute the onion and garlic (turn down the heat before adding the garlic or you'll fry it.  Yes ,this is from experience), stirring often until onions are translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes.  Add broth and tomatoes, turn heat up to high, and bring to a boil.  Add the tortellini and cook according to package instructions.  When tortellini is almost done, add spinach and taste, adjusting seasonings with salt and pepper.  Serve immediately.  Garnish each serving with a sprinkling of Parmesan

(adapted from foodnetwork.com)

Pair with a great red wine, and you have a simple but yummy, perfect for winter dinner.

And it makes a million left overs, which is never a bad thing.

No comments: