Image Map

Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

15.1.13

B and I have always wanted to try absinthe.  We knew that we weren't hitting up Amsterdam, where you can actually still get the kind that will make you hallucinate, but it is still possible in New Orleans to at least get a taste.

And to make your tongue numb.  No joke.  My tongue was numb for a good two hours after having this stuff.  So we hit up this fun little Pirate bar (right next to the church, no less), and find a great little place that will actually perform the entire process of absinthe.  The bartender did tell us we were lucky, and that since she was slow, she wasn't going to just give us the pre-mix; she was actually going to do the whole presentation for us.

She presented us with four bottles; each with a different proof.  We didn't go for the highest or lowest, but the two in the middle.  B took the higher proof, while I stayed with the lower one.  I did not need that much else to drink.

And it was actually pretty interesting.  It tasted a lot like black licorice.  



They actually do the whole thing with the sugar cube, and let the water drip on it.  I couldn't get a good angle on the water thing, but there are about four spigots, and it was neat when she had more than just one underneath it.

I wish I could remember the bartender's name.  She was a really sweet girl; and will definitely be taking Lindsey and Cait there when we got back to visit in March.  We get two newbies who have never been there before!  I can't wait!

No comments: