Image Map

I do that thing they call a Long Haul.

23.7.13

(South Beach, Miami)

I'm sitting here watching The Newsroom, enjoying a margarita and a bag of now almost empty Cape Cod Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper kettle chips, and all I can think about is work tomorrow.

Not even the margarita is helping to drown out the horribleness.  There is nothing I hate more than taking work home with me.  Especially when I don't need to, and all I can think in my head over and over, WTF Laura, breathe.  But that never happens.  If you've ever worked in transportation (and I like to think that I'm the only lifestyle blogger that works in this sort of profession....makes me feel special, so I know you haven't worked in transportation...ahh, hell, let's call it what it is, "trucking"), you know that it is no glamorous position in life.

So I think about, hey, what else can I do with my life?  And then get sad when the answer is, "umm, probably nothing."  I've pretty much worked in transportation since I graduated college, and really don't know much else.  So what else is out there for Laura?  Umm, not much.  I do want to share some tweets with you from an actual person that I work with.  Follow @dispatchskippy.  These are no joke real life; these came out of someone's mouth.  That I work with...

"Our system is going down like a White House Intern"
"Lets get you in the belly of the beast and out"
"We are responsible for everything you do.  You take a shit the wrong way, they are going to ask us about it."
"I already know I'm short, fat and ugly.  What else can they say?  Something bad about my momma?"
"Call me Helen Keller because I'm a miracle worker"

Sometimes, okay most of the time, I get a little down about what I do for a living . It's not quite the journalistic fantasy life I thought I would have when I was in high school.  But.... it's honestly a good profession...I can't say trucks will be disappearing any time soon, so hooray job security!  When people can bring some humor to the day when all of us are completely stressed out?  Makes for a much better day.


No comments: