Image Map

Happy Mardi Gras!!: Homemade Beignets (sort of)

8.3.11


So it's Mardi Gras! If you are Catholic and into Lent, then it actually means something to you, but Mardi Gras to me = beads, beignets, bloody mary's, and king cake. ( I am Christian, just not of the Catholic variety, therefore don't give up anything for Lent). A while ago, Bennett went to New Orleans for an audit, and I asked, since he couldn't bring the real things home from Cafe Du Monde, I asked for the next best thing, the mix!!





On Sunday, we woke up and decided that we might want to put this stuff to use, seeing as how it "expires" (um, not throwing this stuff away after July) soon. So here is what we got. (See how I snuck in Day 79? I'm so sneaky!)

Hello Beignet mix hiding behind my oh-so-stylish green Crate & Barrell bowl!





Follow directions exactly on back. You will use a TON of flour, so don't be too weirded out if the mixture is less than doughy.




Once you submit to knowing that there is going to be a mess, the better off. Granted I'm sure most people actually have a rolling pin (umm, we used an old wine bottle), but there will still be a big flour mess. Don't be stingy on the flour. You will need this A. so it doesn't stick to your hands, and B. Stick to whatever you're rolling the dough out onto.



Throw them in the oil. I let Bennett do this, because I probably would have killed myself.


Throw some powdered sugar on those bad boys and eat them!! Look at those beauties! They don't look exactly like the box, but they are still delicious.

So get your booties to New Orleans, try the real thing, and then grab a box to take home and try to make them yourself!

No comments: