Image Map

Wrong Turns

11.7.11

I'm going to get a little serious on this blog post. I really wanted to sit and write about Memphis and the Southern Ballroom Invitational, but I have a monster thing that has been going on in my head, and I just need to get it out!!

When I went to Auburn, I started out as a journalism major. I loved to write. I loved to listen to people. I wanted so badly to work at a newspaper, with people running everywhere, women with pencils stuck behind their ears and holding up their messy buns, and bosses screaming, "We have to meet dead-line...where is that story?!" Sadly, for me, I never realized that dream.

I had a terrible teacher that taught one of my first journalism classes. He told me that I would never make it as a journalist, and that I wasn't ruthless enough to cut it. Now I know that it would be incredibly hard for me to interview a family who had just lost their mother, or to cover a story like the Alabama tornadoes, but in now way did I ever think that I would be a terrible journalist.

In my naive college mind, I believed him. I changed my major from journalism to marketing and never looked back. I never really regretted it again until recently.

I guess with the job changes, and me not really being able to figure out what I actually want to do with my life, I've been able to revert back to the dream that I once had for myself; the one actual goal that I ever really set for myself; to work for The New York Times. I know this dream is pretty much out of reach for me now. I have no journalism experience, and all I know about is trucks and transportation, but they have magazines and papers for those too, right?

I've set another goal for myself; to get published in some way shape or form before I die. Good goal, no? I will do it.








3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I LOVE this post! Things, people, society talk us out of our dreams and make us believe we're not good enough or could never make it. But those dreams continue tugging at our hearts. When we're little we're asked what we want to be when we grow up. Some kids want to be astronauts, others want to be nurses. They never gave up on their dreams, kept pursuing and today they're living their dream life.

I say got for it! Continue to listen to your heart and go after it! Start small and work your way up. I know you can get published!!! :)

Anonymous said...

you totally need to go for it girl!!!!!!! i think it's an amazing goal and one im sure you'll meet and succeed at!!!

im a marketing undergrad and i wish i had sought out to do my dream too...which is writing. unfortunately, i like to write about stuff i enjoy so i can immerse myself in it rather than be bored writing about other things. this is why i didn't pursue it further...but i didnt realize there are different majors and concentrations within journalism as a whole.

i think you should so follow your dream and dont let a single soul stand in your way this time!!!!!!

Julie said...

You definitely can get published, it's an awesome goal. Writing on this blog helps keep up your skills.