Image Map

I Must Love "The First 48"

12.7.11

Ok. Let me explain this title post to you. Have you ever watched The First 48 on A&E? (If not, it's a show about trying to solve homicides in the first 48 hours after they find the body. Apparently this is when they have the highest chance of solving the murder). Well my current living situation (B to the Ham) has a season with it, and so does the city that I went to this past weekend. My favorite city in the US (NOLA) might as well be on it, but well, I digress...

Okay, so my Memphis trip!! First of all, you have to know that Memphis is centered around blues music and BBQ. It's also not the safest place on Earth, but I will get to that later. If you are a vegetarian that can't stand the sight of meat, I warn you not to proceed..(warning: picture overload!)

Our first plate of BBQ nachos of the trip. These are from Alfred's, which is on Beale Street. And please let me tell you that these were as good as they look. Pork BBQ with Rotel cheese all over. A side of jalapenos and sour cream = perfection!!


The view down Beale Street after 9 p.m. If you do ever go to Memphis, make sure you get to Beale before 8 p.m., so you don't get the pat-down and the wand. Yes, they wand you down before entering this street. We stood in line for 40 mins to get on a street.



One of the barricades to get onto the street.


The Memphis drink: Walk-Me-Down. Not weak!!
Mix all ingredients together in the blender with ice (duh). Enjoy!

This was my "special" Coke. I only put enough money in the vending machine for my Diet Dr. Pepper hanging in the back, but then I got a Coke too! Needless to say, I had to get a picture of it!

Oh, the duckies!! We woke up in time on Sunday to go to the Peabody Hotel to see the ducks. At 11 am, ducks march out of an elevator and into this fountain that's in the middle of the hotel. They even had duck security! No joke! There were three guys walking around with headsets on making sure people didn't interfere with the March of the Ducks. Click on the link above to read the history of the March.

These ducks? Also living the high life on their roof-top penthouse.

Before we went home, we knew we had to try some Memphis dry-rub ribs, so we went to this cute little dive called Central BBQ.


The inside.




Cute little cup. Plastic! Woo-hoo already paid for souvenirs!!

The BBQ nachos at this place were not as good as the one's at Alfred's. They still pass the "I'm going to eat you" test.




And then the full slab of ribs. Don't worry. We didn't eat all of this in one sitting. We each had two ribs and packed it up to take it home. You can order these bad boys from the link up top if you want. I highly recommend that you do so. Sooooooo good!


Have I mentioned that Memphis is not a safe city? Well there were policeman everywhere. And not just any policeman...super hot ones!! I have never seen so many attractive police officers in one city. These 3 were no exception. I'm sure they would have let me take their picture if I would have just asked, because not only were they the hottest ones ever, but they were always talking to regular people.

So if not for the BBQ and music, take the trip down to see the hot policeman! Oh yeah, there's some history there too. You can see the Civil Rights Museum, where Martin Luther King Jr. was shot, and where he was shot from. This, unfortunately didn't make it into our trip, but we only live 4 hours away, so we'll be back.

I will post pictures and possibly video from the ballroom portion of my trip tomorrow. I need to gather all the courage in the world to be able to put those videos up!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok so now i officially miss bbq and pulled pork. thanks laura LOL :)

and if policemen in memphis are HOT...i might just have to make it the next stop on my US itinerary!

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Woaaa the Memphis drink sounds like a crazy time to me! We are heading to Tennessee in a few weeks and I am excited to do a little site seeing!