Image Map

Potato Chip Cookies (yes, you read that right)

16.6.12

As a sweet gift, BJ got me a year subscription to Martha Stewart Living.  I have been obsessed with my last three issues, and one day soon, when I decide that I want to start cooking, I am going to try my hand at some of the awesome stuff she has in there.  Plus, every time I peruse one of her magazines, I want to change the color of my walls.  To something crazy.  Like purple.  Or coral.  Oh the hubs would die.  

Anyway, as I was going through the July issue, I came across a recipe for Potato Chip Cookies, and was like whaaaa?  I'm going to admit that when I saw that, my first thought was, is it ok for potato chips to go in the oven?  Turns out it is.  

Picture from Martha Stewart Living....see below for recipe.

KitchenAid doing what it does.....

I put the chips in a baggie and smashed them.  Less mess that way.

Yums!  They taste like sugar cookies, with just a hint of salt.  Sweet and salty!  Yum!!
Potato Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened                                                     2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar                                                   1 teaspoon baking soda 
3/4 cup granulated sugar                                                                 4 cups crushed potato chips, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract                                                                1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely
2 large eggs                                                                                      chopped.

Prep:

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Beat together butter and sugars with a mixer on high speed until fluffy (about 2 to 3 minutes).  Add vanilla and eggs, and beat on medium speed until just combined.

2.  Add flour, baking soda, and salt, and beat on low speed until just combined (I mix them all separately and pour them into the mixer gradually.  If you have found a way to do it without getting flour all over the place without doing it this way, please let me know!).  Stir in 2 cups potato chips and the nuts.

3.  Roll dough into 2-inch balls, and then roll balls into remaining potato chips to coat.  Place cookies 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet (or a nicely greased cookie sheet :)   ).  Bake until golden, 18-20 minutes.  Let cool completely.



I did it without the nuts.  BJ and I aren't completely crazy about nuts in the cookies we eat, so your choice.  You ever notice on the Toll House chips it always says to add nuts too?  Never have, and they still always turn out awesome.  But personal choice, I guess.  Add them if you want.

No comments: