Image Map

Weight Obsessions

1.2.09

So, as I was doing what I do on Sundays, I was looking at people.com, and came across a story about Jessica Simpson, and her weight. People calling her fat? Are you serious? Jessica Simpson fat? This is what her sister said:

Ashlee Simpson-Wentz says people should leave her older sister Jessica alone. "I am completely disgusted by the headlines concerning my sister's weight," Ashlee, 24, writes on her blog after photos appeared of Jessica, 28, at the Radio 99.9 Kiss Country's annual Chili Cookoff on Sunday in Pembroke Pines, Fla. Under the headline, "Since when did a woman's weight become newsworthy," Ashlee says: "A week after the inauguration and with such a feeling of hope in the air for our country, I find it completely embarrassing and belittling to all women to read about a woman's weight or figure." She adds: "All women come in different shapes, sizes, and forms and just because you're a celebrity, there shouldn't be a different standard." The singer/actress says she wonders if people would make the same remarks to a wife, daughter, mother, grandmother or friend. "I seriously doubt it," she says. "How can we expect teenage girls to love and respect themselves in an environment where we criticize a size 2 figure? Now can we focus on the things that really matter."

There are so many things that are going on right now, and it really pisses me off that people are concerned with a woman's weight. I just don't understand why men aren't put under the same glass as women. WE are expected to diet and exercise and be skeleton skinny; but yet it's ok for a man to put on weight and not be criticized for it.

I have had an obsession with my weight since high school. This is not a secret to anyone, so I feel ok sharing it with everyone. It has gotten worse since I've gotten older, because it has gotten harder to diet and exercise with everything going on in the adult world, not to mention the worry about fitting into and looking great in a wedding dress.

It's time consuming and unfair. If the girl gains a little weight, so be it; It would be so nice to look like her, even a little bit.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. I am done now. Happy super bowl sunday!

No comments: